Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bullying in schools is only an issue

because teachers and the system model it so well.

Teacher gets ONE day unpaid suspension for telling students to surround fellow student and oink at him because he was too messy.

Hayes, according to the letter, had repeatedly warned the child to be neater but on March 16 told him, "Your area looks like a pig sty. Oink. Oink."
Students in the classroom told authorities that Hayes told them to encircle the child "and call him a pig and make pig noises," according to the reprimand.

One day for singling out a very young child ( he was in kindergarten) and having the whole class ridicule and humiliate him at her bidding. Egads... this person has no business working anywhere near children, let alone put in charge of or in  a position of authority over children.


“The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed a standard citizenry, to put down dissent and originality” ~ H. L. Mencken

5 comments:

WolfSong said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WolfSong said...

I'd oink at the teacher...while I was kicking her ass, to see how she liked it.

Jeez Louise, kids are messy! Especially in Kindy...stupid fool. Her job is to help teach the child skills for life, not ridicule him.

Wow, and the principal so graciously offered to transfer the child. How about transfer the teacher...to the unemployment line.

April 14, 2011 7:43 AM

The Grey Lady said...

My biggest worry about institutions of public learning is that sooo many parents blindly accept them as professionals and take their word for everything. Look at here in Ontario parents are actually grateful to send little jimmy and Jane alllllll day as young as three, thinking they are giving their children a leg up on the educational ladder. Schools are no loving, careing place, learning place, they are merely kiddie kennels so parents can go out and make taxable income to further feed the machine.

WolfSong said...

Yep. That's why, if parents are going to choose public schools, they have to get off their butts and be involved. Talk to the teachers, ask questions, go to parent council meetings, volunteer. Be visible in the school, let them know you know what's going on.

If a parent isn't willing to do any of those things, and are still happy shoving their kids into public schools, then they shouldn't be surprised at what their kids turn into.

I am well known in my Kid's school. I am the parent that each new teacher is warned about. I have been labeled a "difficult" parent...but, I am also one of the first they call upon to volunteer. Why? Because I'm there, I'm interested, I'm hands on with the kids, and I give a damn.

It's sad when "kiddie kennels" is such an apt description...

The Grey Lady said...

WolfSong,

I have pretty much the same policy, be there, let them KNOW you are watching them. I have had folks ask me why I send my children to a public school when I dislike them so much. It is really easy to answer. My kids need to practice being an individual amongst the mob, how to stand up for themselves properly. School is a perfect training ground for those skills. They still have to live in this world even if we don't agree with most of it.