Thursday, April 21, 2011

Every child is a unique gift

something lke a snowflake.

This is my 7 year old daughter's new favorite movie:



Her "bestest birthday present ever" this year was a kid sized frying pan, she even takes it to bed ( we manage to persuade her to leave it in the van when we go out, just in case she forgets it somewhere.). The fry-pan is Rapunzel's weapon of choice.  Rapunzel is a Sampson like character who's magical powers are generated by her uncut hair.

While going through her scrapbook she noticed the lock of golden baby hair tucked into a vellum envelope.

Little One:  Mommy you took away my magic when you cut my hair! Did you know what you were doing? You shouldn't have done that!!!!!

Insert visual of blnky eyed Grey right here.

Grey: Now Little One you have to understand that the movie about Rapunzel is not real.

Little One , who takes EVERYTHING literally:  Mommy of course it is real, we even saw it together, so the DVD is REAL! I'll go get it and show you it s real.

Grey, changing strategy on the fly:  I know that the DVD is real, but the story isn't real, it's a fairy tale.

Little One: Mommy! Of course the story is real, you even used to read me that story! Don't you remember?

Grey stepping carefully : Yes, but that story was pretend..

Little One: It's not pretend, because we have a real book about it, I can even go get it and read it to you.

Grey getting blinky eyed again,the reality of her understanding dawning on me: Now Little One...

Little One: Mommy! I'm tired of explaining real to you when you should know that, your grown up!

Grey making a hasty retreat while I formulate a REAL plan to explain real and pretend: We will talk about this again another time.

Little One: O.K. but I don't know what else to say to get you to understand.....

Oh brother.........

5 comments:

WolfSong said...

Oh my. Good luck with that explanation!

I remember when my daughter was learning to read, flipping through picture books, she'd get mad because the characters weren't waiting on the next page for her.

She'd wail..."Mom! They know I'm waiting for them, what's taking so long?"

The joys of little people is explaining what we already know...and doing it without sounding like a loon. :)

The Grey Lady said...

The Cattleman thinks that she and I need to make up a story, draw pictures and then make a story book out of it and then go back through the steps. This procedure he thinks will put the world right again...

I don't know...I think I'm going to let it go for a few days and see what else I can come up with.....
:O)

Heh the word verification is normals

MONSTER said...

Hi GL, boy the younger at about the same age was convinced that I could get him enrolled in Jedi school. He figured with all of his light sabre practice that it was a done deal. My advice is to just let the young un have their dreams about what is real or not.As she gets older and reads more (gotta keep those kids reading) and finds differnt interests Rapunsol will be one of your fond memoreys. Enjoy her interest in finding out what is real and what is not. The inocince of a child is so fleeting.

The Grey Lady said...

Well helllllo Monster,

What cave have you been hiding in? You need a new home, again your blog be broke. :O(

When you move let me know.

You are right, childhood where magic and imagination rule is sooo short, I'm kinda inclined to let it go for now, unless it becomes (somehow, weirdly) dangerous or I get cast as a villain....

MONSTER said...

Hi GL, after two weeks of e-mails I have finaly got my data base from blogme and am in the process of getting set up at Go Daddy. At least now if you go to MITW you will at least get a coming soon screen. Hope to be up asap.