Saturday, March 19, 2011

Of Princess Brides and Men folk

There is a whole bunch I do not understand about men. I like men very much, I do not find them all scary or too hairy for my comfort, but they are weird/strange/odd/so very different thinking then us gals and I do not get them what so ever. I been married to one for many a year, not only do I  Love him but somehow have managed to stay "in like" with him all these years, no small feat, I have birthed a few men folk ( also no small feat) and even have a few men as friends, but there are still these things see that I will neeeeever evvvvvvvvvvver understand.

What is it with men and the movies they like? Let us examine The Princess Bride for example, It used to be one of the Cattleman's favorites. ( I may have ruined it for him or he just won't fess up to it any longer. I think he still watches it when I am not home or gone to the summer place) Whhhhaaaat you say? T'is the truth a favorite, men have confessed to me their fondness for this flick. I was blissfully unaware of it's existence until one night, waaaaaaay back in the day, the Cattleman came back from the video store with his very own VHS copy of the Princess bride. It was like  Woo Hoo moment or something......for him,  but I digress.

Great news Honey! I was able to pick up one of my favorite movies at the used rack, your gonna love it, it's a romantic comedy. Of course my feminine ears were all a perky and pleased as punched by this news. But it soon became apparent to me that the Princess Bride is as much a romantic comedy as The Sound of Music is a Nazi great escape type war movie.

Sure it does have a princess, sure it is funny in a way, but any movie that has torture and Marx brother/ Abbott ans Costello level comedy, with a running gags all the way through it are NOT, and I  repeat for emphasis NOT romantic comedies.

Another small thing, why oh why do men remember lines from these hideous movies and insert them into life, into conversations? Going to the mattresses (oops sorry that is from another of my all time despised bore fests) One MILLION dollars,(still wrong movie) I want that Baby in my tummy now (come on now!) Sleeps with the fishes (dang same bore fest) An  offer he couldn't refuse (snap I really hate that movie and this post is NOT about that movie) Pop quiz hot shot...what are ya gonna do! ( I actually like that movie) I wake up in the morning and I pee excellence, (closer now that was supposed to be a comedy)   Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.( there we go, right movie this time) inconceivable!


Why do men do that? We women don't go around inserting dialogue from..say... Moonlighting do we? We don't tell men they are a wolf and bit off their own hand because the wolf in them knew that they had the wrong woman before they were blessed with us, do we? Old man you feed my food to those dogs again and I'll kick ya till your dead. ( I always kinda wanted to say that but haven't had an occasion.) We don't go all Lauren Becall and quote: You know how how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow. Do we Ohhhhhh baby are ya happy to see me or is that a gun in your pocket. (O.K. maybe that one I'll give ya) Do we do this quote thing ladies? No, we do not.  It's just plain weird.

O.K. I'm done now. Carry on. :O)

P.S. I just asked the Cattleman why he loves that movie: Because it's Inconceivable that he wouldn't...oh brother..oh yes he did go there.......so here it is Just like Joel ( a straight rip off)  the inconcievable clip.







P.S. Joel this is NOT about you using that clip in your post, really it just touched off something else..entirely different. Really. :O)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think your quotes were from Moonstruck with Cher and Nick Cage . Moonlighting , I think was a series with Bruce Willis and Sybal Shepherd , as detectives .It was really funny .

MONSTER said...

GL I aint gonna debate you about movies. I had my picks on my site. What I will take to issue is that women dont understand men? SHEESH!!! If you want a hard task in life be a man trying to understand a women."What ever" "Never mind" "Its ok" "You wouldnt understand" and so one. I love the female part of the whole life thing but to understand you girls? Maybe if I was a hair dresser named Bruce. And that aint gonna happen. :)

The Grey Lady said...

Ursula you are correct,
It was moonstruck and yes Bruce Willis was funny in that show, back when he had hair. Still a very good looking man.

The Grey Lady said...

Monster,

We gals are easy to understand, we only want a man we know would lay down his life for us, that is strong enough to let us fail and wait for us to "ask" them for help if we can't figure out the answer ourselves. We want to be equal and know that the very gas we pass is viewed as present or the very least a non starter,(O.K. that's going a wee bit far) we want to know that the passage of time and it's ravages are immaterial to you and you still see that young girl you fell in love with. In essence we want everything and we want all that we give to be received in the loving spirit we offer it in.

Whats so hard about that I ask? :O)

Joel said...

You don't like Princess Bride? Inconceivable!

(You knew somebody had to do it. Sorry.)

But seriously, that has always been one of my all-time favorite movies, in spite of my attitude toward the director. It's one of the very few movies I've ever seen that was absolutely faithful to the book - even better in some ways. And the casting! Perfect!

It's just a gentle, humorous, feel-good, and intensely quotable movie. (Okay, so a whole bunch of guys get stabbed there at the end. So? I'm a guy.)

I may go watch it now.

MONSTER said...

Thanks for the advice GL. As you know I`m back in the game again and on the relearning curve."Whats so hard about that I ask?" just a lot of love and comitment. Hope I`m up for it.

The Grey Lady said...

Monster you will do fine, just find a woman that is worthy and she will give you back what you give 10 fold. Because we are like that don't cha know.

The Grey Lady said...

Good evening Joel!

I hope you enjoyed your movie, I am sure the Cattleman wished he was with you, anybody that appreciates it as much as he does has gotta be OK by him. :O)

I hang my head over my inability to understand the nuances of such a classic...I feel the shame.

Anonymous said...

I do not think "romantic comedy" means what you think it means.

Wink.

One of my favorite all time movies ever. But then, I'm a gal who hates chick flicks, so it makes sense . . . .

The Grey Lady said...

You talking to me?

What we have here is a failuuuure to communicate.

Wink right back at cha. :OP