Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Correlation is NOT necessarily CAUSATION.

This is a scientific principle that sometimes slips off the edge of my brain. I know it, I understand it, but in real life it is a principle I tend to forget to make allowances for.

Question: How many dead mice do you figure I need  before I revise the theory of how the troops set up home sweet home in my stores room?

In case you missed it my current reigning theory is that the Cattleman and company accidentally brought them home when they panicked  at the mice they found  and then packed up our summer place....I might have..ummmm...kinda sorta..ya know...not exactly accused or anything...but made a point of....gently, yeah thats the word gently, in a good natured manner ( yeah thats another good one too) referenced their hasty packing of linens as a possible source of our rodent problem. Only because the wee mousies showed up at exactly the same frickin time. See the correlation?

So back to my question, how many of them do you think it would take to make my (I wasn't really married to that whole idea but just threw it out there as a plausible possibility) theory null and void?

10? Whoosh I am still safe then.

5? Oh dear da dear dear me....now that sorta presents a wee bit of a problem for me.....See the hardware guy knew what he was talking about when he said that mice find peanut butter irresistible, so irresistible in fact I think the mice are coming from out of house to heed it's call. I almost feel like I am luring defenseless Eloi to their unsuspected fate..almost.

I of course would have no issue with revising my theory, it's not as if I have actually complained (aloud) about the bringing home of the mice creatures...or gone so far as to hastily compose a  really bad poem in honour of my frustration...no no no no not moi. It's not like I ever triumphantly asked the Cattleman to go dispose of the first two snapped ones just so he would know that I was right about the mice being down there...nope not going to be an issue at all.....

Are you sure 5 are enough? Does that stretch credibility that he accidentally brought home a blanket, sleeping bag or pillow with a nest in it? 5 sure seems like I may have to...oh what the heck...10 it is, a nice round number, very scientific non?

No comments: