Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The False Majority

Grrrrr Will this election ever really end? Will the spin ever really end?

I think not.

Lets take Elizabeth May for example. The Darling of the Greens who got their very first seat in the house.

Elizabeth won the Saanich - Gulf Island riding with 46.25% of the vote. That means that 53.74% of the people didn't want her to be their faithful ruler representative. But we have first past the post and the reality is she is legally able to disgrace  Parliament at her leisure.

But Ms. May is not happy taking her ill gotten gains and be done with it, No not our ballsy gal, she rejects the Conservative Majority on the grounds that they did not get over 50% of the popular vote:

May said she was disappointed by what she called the Conservatives' false majority, and vowed to fight for electoral change.
As a matter of fact I just caught Ms. May on T.V. spouting the same ridiculous argument how unfair it was and it needed to be changed to proportional representation or some such nonsense. Which means that individuals that NOBODY actually voted for would get to sit in the house. Her theory is since her party got 3% of the votes nationally she should have 3% of the seats in the house. Sweet forcing folks to accept people that even their locals realized weren't ready for prime time and rejected. . Of course we only hear this kinda of nonsense when folks don't get what they think they are entitled to. 

She said: "I will never shrink from speaking truth to power, nor will I embrace the politics of spin.

How about this Lizzy? Put your principles where your mouth is and resign your seat because you did NOT get the majority of votes in your riding. Your riding win is a  "false win" using your logic. Ms. May if you had one once of self respect, or actually believed that tripe you spout you would quit in protest. Ms. May, be a shinning example to the multitudes,  Don't be a hypocrite, just quit.

You got this politics and spin thing down pretty good already don't ya girl friend?

Let me know when it's really over.....

4 comments:

KGould said...

I swear to gosh that I am completely dizzy from all the spins I have been reading/hearing. Lizzy gets less than 50% of the 'popular vote' but accepts that proudly, then says the Cons majority is 'false' because it was less than 50%? Well.. did she call her own win a 'false victory'? If she did, then I would say 'okay, fair enough'... but of course she did not.

What I have noticed very clearly is a switch. Back when the conservatives had their minority govts, I happened to mention the popular vote tallies in the Western provinces and I was VERY quickly shut down on every forum I said that in, being told directly that the popular vote doesn't really count.

Okay so last night I was posting in the same darn forum about this Majority win, and I was quickly and directly shut down and told that 'more than 60% of Canadians voted AGAINST the conservatives' in the 'popular vote'. Ohhhhh so NOW the popular vote is important, but it wasn't back when the Conservatives held a minority. Okay, I get it.

It really drives me crazy. Am about to post on it myself actually, if I can manage to get it written up before I fall asleep lol

The Grey Lady said...

Good morning Kez!

I love how some folks are verrrrrry comfortable changing the goal posts to aid their cause, it reminds of when the kids play cards.

"I win"

"hey! That's not the right way to play this game"

"But the 2's are always wild in this game"

"you said that 2's weren't wild in this game"

"that was the other day and a different game"

"Your cheating again, Mooooooooom little man is not playing fair."

"am not prove it"

You agree on the rules before the game and if you don't like them don't play.

Ryan said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog.
No need to apologize.

The Grey Lady said...

Ryan,

You are very kind. You have a good day now.