Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Can I can it or not?

Recently I have had a small amount of money fall in my lap. Yup it happens sometimes. My usual mode is to have a project or plan for just about every cent to make the most of it for my family. But this amount is not enough to really do anything with that will make a real difference to my end goals. SO what to do.

Pee it away? Nope.

Put it on debt load? Probably smart, but that plan is going well and it really would not change the outcome by much.

So I decided to do something extravagant yet very practical at the same time, Brilliant plan as I get to buy something I Have been salivating over for a long time and it helps us towards our goals of being more independent at the same time. It will also get a lot of stuff out of the freezer and onto shelves, save energy and precious space. Win, win right?

Well not so much. I never understand what is going to get my back up, things that one wouldn't think   do and those that one would  think should don't. I guess that the contrary female in  me. :O)  I have been looking for an All American no gasket pressure canner for years, I repeat years. Now these beauties cost an arm and a leg new so I have been scouring the available sites to score one used. No luck I am afraid. I guess those that can do and those that don't have no clue or interest in what it is when doing Granny's estate or something.

I recently found a Canadian distributer of this sweet baby that is within an hour or two's drive from my village:

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/941.htm

Now in the US this baby sells for a whopping $365, thats a lot of canning to be done to make it pay for it's self if saving money is your goal. It's not my only goal in owning it...

Now I went to my "local" store to look at it and it sells for $699. plus HST (15%) WTHoodles? $330 difference, Our dollar is very close now, why the big difference? They have no clue at the store, I was assured it certainly is NOT mark up, they suggested various levels of government duty, shipping, levies etc....Yeah I'll by that. But I won't buy it. I have looked around the net for Canadian distributors and they all charge around the same plus shipping.......It just burns my britches that there is this huge price hike from the US to us.

I know I want this Cadillac of canning.

I know I need it eventually.

I know I have the cash now.

I know I am being silly, this is found free money so to speak, but still I find I can't do it. What the Hoodles, I got to work on this "it has to be perfect or forget it" thing I have going on.....

Perhaps I should go for a smaller scale model? Nope, go big or go home for my clan, for the amount of food I need to can for my brood? Anything smaller and I am looking at something that really doesn't do the job completely.

Oh during my research I also found out I can not use this baby or any really good solid canner on my ceramic stove top. A stove top that I bought 14 years ago back when  stoves were all part of the look of the "decor" not just utility items. Sigh...........Prehaps move up the purchase of the new gas stove by two years?

Cattleman says buy it, we need it and use it on the BBQ. Right.............like that will work........

Goodness now even free money is an issue? Silly silly silly........unfortunately that's where I got myself stuck right now. I think I will pull a Scarlett and fiddle dee dee, think about this on some far off tomorrow....

No comments: