Monday, June 7, 2010

Back in the saddle again

As a house maintenance item I decided to tackle the job of my freezer today. Ewwwwww.

Up until about 6 or so months ago I could tell you exactly what as in it and when it was due to be used or refused, circumstances being what they were I lost complete and total touch with what was going on in both the freezer and in my stores. So time to pull up me socks and brave the jobs I have been dreading. Ewwwwwwwww.

Turfed some stuff that was just taking up space, (like fish, I am th only one who likes fish, I keep buying it to feed the suddenly unhungry, so I should just give up this one and stop buying it, there...it's decided, one less struggle to improve the family's diet, even I can learn eventually can't I, gotta learn to pick more important mountains) home baking that was long forgotten, some store bought bread, What store bought bread in MY house? Ewwwwwwww.

A couple of ham bones that will now never make soup, left over turkey also that will never make soup. What a waste of what was once good food and $$$$$.

Some freezer burned fruit, (Frigo seal apparently has no friggin seal when it comes to freezing) But still have quite a bit that needs using up soon, so making jam on the morrow. Wild blueberry jam, Raspberry jam and a mixture of the two along with the small amount of strawberries I also found.

 Loe and behold about forty lbs of Hamburger that I forgot I had and needed to be used. So I made 6 tourtieres, have a slow cooker full of chili that is bubbling away waiting to be canned tomorrow and  making a pile of meat balls to put up in the freezer for soups and pastas. Num num. I make fanfreakingtastic home made meatballs, the secret is to soak one or two pieces of bread in milk and work that thru the meat along with the spices. If you want to go allll out add some shredded asiagio and parmigiana cheeses. Take tablespoon amount of meat mixture roll into balls, place on a cookie sheet or a lasagna pan, don't over fill your pan, cook in oven at 350, every 10 minutes or so take the pan out and shake it so the meat balls roll around and return to oven until they are cooked evenly. Cool and place in freezer bags.  Smooth like butter they are......

Only a fraction of the way thru the freezer, feeling energized to take back the reigns and get this stores business back under control. I already know that my canned goods and dry goods are  an issue, a mass of holes in inventory, stuff in all the wrong places, ewwww what a mess it is too. Another job to start when this one is Finished.

Now to just come up with some sort of system that will keep track that is so user friendly that this doesn't happen again....Who am I kidding....come up with a system to make it easier to recover from...now that is a more likely scenerio.

No comments: