Friday, October 8, 2010

This Thanksgiving weekend

For the first time in a long time we are not having Thanksgiving dinner at our home.

Going to the old homestead that my hubby's family received from "THE CROWN" for kicking ass in the war of 1812, sorry for my American friends if that seems a tad insensitive :O) But to me is wondrous to have those sorts of  long roots. For 200 hundred years the Cattleman's family have fought and worked with the land to provide for and nurture a family.  I am thankful I did not live in those days. Life was harder then I can even begin to imagine if the tall tales told at the fire are half true..

I love it there in the Hills the locals call mountains, the raw beauty of my home province sings to me every time I go back. It would have been heaven on earth  if we could have made a go of it there. The house beside the lake, so charming in it's antiquity, the sound of the geese flying south, the loons, the deer, the hunters trespassing trying to tag our deer, the maple trees so beautiful in their fall spender waiting for the spring to be tapped again....

It will hurt to go and not stay, like leaving an old lover, it still owns part of me, always will, but a wonderful life goes on elsewhere.

My hope is that this thanksgiving you have and continue to make new memories that  keep your soul warm. That you have  family that accepts you with grace, with open  forgiving hearts and arms, with laughter and true joy.

No comments: