Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dearest Winter

Dear Winter,

In the beginning we used to have fun, with your white snow that seemed to be a harbinger of renewal, a purification of the world, the bringer of peace, your season of giving and forgiveness. One would have to be a hard hearted cretin to not be moved by the stunning cold blue beauty and initial optimism you brought.  Your attractions are legend and well documented. I was entranced and distracted from the real missions of life, willing to sacrifice personal comfort for the dream you represent. But dearest Winter I am ready now to be done with you.  Your pure as snow act has fallen to a moldy caricature of your past, I have come to realize your minus 20 degrees are not worth it, you  are a killer of joyous family activity. (Except for those who possibly, if not assuredly, are insane.)

Of course I will always cherish those special times, like the day we all ran outside to make snow people and catch flakes on our tongues.  The laughter of the children making snow angels, the glee of gliding down a hill on a tobaggon, no that can't be taken away from us. Ah to have back that innocence and excitement of a new relationship before the drudgery sets in.  I will try hard to keep those memories alive and minimize your defects as much as possible.

Sadly, It is you Dearest Winter that is the problem, not me, we just are not a good match in any way, shape or form, except for a few good times in 5 months you have gone out of your way to make me miserable. Your constant expensive habits like increased heating and hydro costs have certainly taken their toll, this along with your obstinate obsessive need for near constant grooming and   maintenance, the heavy specialty clothing required to get any where near you has made you a season non-Grata. I refuse to put up with your temper tantrums, where you try to confine us to our home, attempting to make all the roads impossible to drive, how rude can a season be and just how much of that is one supposed to forgive? It just isn't acceptable behavior. Do you hear that Winter? I had to wake up to the reality of our situation  when the very thought of the temperatures your presence garners or your excrement makes me down right angry and causes Me, yes sweet little old me, to curse . More then just a subtle nudge that the honeymoon is well over and it is time to cut ties.

Dearest Winter: I am done, I think it is time for me to start seeing other seasons again. Please just be graceful about this and go quietly, maybe over time, a Looooooooooong time , we can be "friends" again, but for right now?..... please do us both a favor and disappear.