Saturday, September 10, 2011

End of season



Starting packing up the summer place and I have to tell you it is a job I dread for several very good reasons.

One I hate to see summer disappear, I despise the cold. I know! You would think I would be used it living in Canerder and all.  Mind you I would still come in the Autumn and earlier in the Spring if the place was within reasonable distance of the homestead.

It's beautiful here. There are always places for sale along the river through the hills, we always dream and look at the prices and think "well maybe some day"..................but I know the reason the same gorgeous places go up for sale every few years or so. It's because folks don't take into account the complete and utter isolation in the winter months. The charming winding, twisty turny (yes I know I just made up that word, wanna make something of it?), up and down  roads in Spring and Summer turn into nasty MF'ers at minus 20 and white outs due to northern blowing winds. You would have to be able to fend for yourself,  alllll by your self,  with no outside contact for loooooooong periods of time, or have nerves of steel when driving. I don't think most folks account for the reality of living in the middle of nowhere, they think the view will feed their soul, the charming breezes off the water are so refreshing don't cha know. But the ice , the neck deep snow, the constant howling of the winds off the water. While that has it's own savage barren  beauty?  It can drive you batty if your not used to it.

Sigh...I know deep down I will never "live" full time here. Reality is highly over rated...

No comments: