Monday, May 10, 2010

One Formidable Lady

While a very young child the Grey Lady's Grey haired Mamma adored all the old musicals, I spent the weekday afternoons sitting by my Mamma while she watched all the old musicals that were on TV. I could only watch if I was quiet, I'm sure it was a sanity strategy for my Mamma as apparently I was a wee bit of a chatter box, legend goes that I was able to make an exception for these movies.

You might be amazed at the high quality talent that came and went on that screen. I was introduced to the fancy foot work of Fred and Gene, I longed for Cyd Charisse's sassy sultry legs. But no one made more of an impression on me then Ms. Lena Horne. She was stunning in looks and her voice was heaven. Lena was an elegant fighter and my appreciation of her lead me to other soul, jazz greats who all have given me pleasure over the years. Of course the first song I ever heard her sing was Stormy weather, one of her signature songs, the song that put her on the Hollywood map. She died yesterday, at 92 , still stunning in her seemingly ageless beauty. A class act in every way. I thank you Ms. Horne, you have given me many joyful hours over the years.

This is Ms. Horne singing in her eighties, A different take on her song which I appreciate.

 

The original treatment from the 40's movie:


No comments: