Monday, October 24, 2011

Life is good

It's  been a few weeks since I last posted, but all is  well here.

Life is very busy and life is very good. Seems ever since the Cattleman "scare" almost nothing can rattle me, I'm just plain happy and optimistic. Yes I know whole swaths of life stink, but my ability to be outraged and too too concerned as been hampered by my utter joy and peace in the life I live.

It's disgusting really...........

Had three new arrivals of my Breakfast Club Kids. There are supposed to be siblings, but who knows. In Africa everybody is "related and brothers and sisters" to everybody. Which begs the question of how they can be so bloody brutal to each other. Add that to the list of Things Grey  will never understand.

I was originally told to expect some returning children who were in bad shape again, I prepared for their return and the anticipated problems and then all of a sudden bammo three newbies showed up. The baby is hydrocephalus and required a brain shunt to drain the excess liquid. Done and recovering nicely thank you. As usual a whirl wind of appointments and careful watching to make sure we aren't over looking anything. One of these little folks  needs some plastic surgery for a facial deformity, some braces afterwards to get their teeth back in proper line. The bad luck "monster" that no  one wanted to touch will be gone and a child will be in it's place. The third one is surprisingly normal and except for relatively minor dental issues in very good health. Which means that there is probably something that we are missing...that just does not happen. :O)

I should have these kids for about 6 more months or so to make sure they are medically sound, do as much rehabbing of the baby as possible, occupational therapy and lets see if we can bring him out of his fog into this world and moving about in it....


4 comments:

WolfSong said...

Glad to hear all is well in your world, Grey Lady.

What happens to the kids after 6 months?

The Grey Lady said...

The children will go back to the orphanage in Uganda. A few of my friends and I do work with one particular orphanage near the Rwandan boarder.

Chances are if the children have their medical issues taken care of and they go to school for a few years they will be adopted back into their community.

Unfortunately infant mortality is rather high and these children offer a chance to have someone in the family who is educated and possibly going to enrich their family in the future. Never hurts to have someone who is sponsored to go to school, you might be able to persuade the sponsor to also sponsor your children too.


I know it sounds very mercenary on behalf of the adopting family but it really isn't. With Aids devastating the adult population, with infant mortality soo high A family needs practical incentive to take these children on. We have situations where children are only at the orphanage during school terms but Aunties and uncles have them for the rest of the year, they just can't afford the uniforms and fees.

WolfSong said...

I am blown away by this. I could not imagine sharing my heart and home with children, only to let them out of my grasp to go back to an orphanage. My head knows that it's a wonderful thing, to help the kids with any medical problems, and to set them onto an educated path that can help the whole community...but my heart would have me standing in front of the kids, snarling "No, you can't take them back!"

You are a much stronger woman, than I Grey Lady.

The Grey Lady said...

And just how do you think I got so many children? I have only birthed three of them myself.....

But these children must always go back or else the program would be stopped right away. I can fully understand how government officials look at "white folks" who help their children. White folks have been telling them how to live and raise their families for centuries with disastrous results.